Unusual Paper Flower Gifts of Love

An orange and white hanging paper semi-sphere of lilies on a purple satin background.

I'm usually one those people who collects Christmas gifts between Christmas and the next Christmas, spending time agonising over what gift would suit which person and leaping into sales or, more recently, spending hours trawling DIY blogs. Telling people this often brings out a delicate shudder and occasionally, a Look. It's possible they don't fully understand the gifting obsession.

Last year, however, it all went awry and I had nada when it came to December AND my partner's work Christmas party was 'S' themed. Luckily I was already knee deep in pretty paper and lots of ideas. I'll just post a couple of those here.

A handmade paper flower gift that hangs from a yellow ribbon.

My friend Joy is very easy to please and love bright colours, so I promised her this hanging lily semi-sphere. The structure is simply large lilies made from magazine pages; magazine paper varies hugely in quality, so if you are thinking of using it, here's what you should consider:

* Thick, natural paper is better quality and usually only comes in more expensive publications that come out as quarterlies or annuals. Usually the subjects are art, design or high fashion. For example, the paper used here is from the Frankie magazine. Of course, those can be worth collecting for selling years down the track or using as resources if you are an artist or designer.

A structure of paper lilies- paper flowers- made from origami paper and magazine pages.

* Common magazines and cheaper ones usually have very thin pages that are also coated and appear shiny. These are not so suitable for durable, long lasting paper flowers. However! They are common, easy to get cheaply or free secondhand (waiting rooms, opshops, friends and family) and fairly high cost for local councils to recycle if they do it at all. So they are excellent for turning into other crafts, like rolled paper bowls, or for practising new origami guides on.

* Magazines are very unlikely to be acid free and will therefore disintegrate and discolour more quickly than other things, especially without you adding a protective coating of something. Direct sunlight will speed that process.

The back of the paper flowers with glass stones for weights.

So the Frankie magazine pages each yielded one large square for the 12 - 15 lilies in the structure. I touched them up with a shimmery orange mica spray, then used a range of smaller oranges squares from my stock to double the lilies and colour up. Then a lemon ribbon to the back with a couple of small glass stones to have it sit better against the wall, and an atrocious wrapping system with sweets so that Joy could pretend she didn't know what she was receiving for Christmas. :)

The opening of a gift bag showing yellow paper flower earrings.

For my sister Caitlin, I found a pretty blue ornate bowl that inspired these earrings. I made them from acid free card stock and coated them with a quality varnish to prevent discolouration over time. They hang more than halfway to her shoulders, but hey! She can pull them off (figuratively).

Bright white and yellow paper lily earrings as a Christmas gift.

A paper flower twisty rose with patterned stripes.

Just another twisty paper rose! From the top of a paper stack, which shows a strip of most patterns in the stack. I liked how it turned out and used it to hide Caitlin's gift in the bag.

A Christmas setting on a my coffee table, including fabrics, Christmas baubles and red paper flowers with purple glitter.

Easy Christmas decorations! A large bowl of baubles topped with my practice lilies- red paper with purple glitter lining. And a purple glitter scalp for my pains.

Handmade Sailor Mars steampunk costume accessories including red origami star earrings.

The Christmas party costume accessories with Scrumptious On Summer work crew! Sailor Mars, with a slight  steampunk bent. I put it all together with the exception of the gloves. Not much origami, but this is only place I get to brag! The only piece of origami is the pair of earrings, which include a paper star each. I'll have to do a proper post on those stars at a later date. Fortunately, I don't have any (decent) pictures of me wearing the whole costume.

Beautiful bright red shoes with red ankle ribbons for a Sailor Mars costume.

The SHOES. I didn't make them, but I did find them for $6 in an opshop and manage to walk forward in them. I LOVE THEM.

NEWER

Write a comment

Comments: 36
  • #1

obat tradisional tuba falopi (Thursday, 19 November 2015 00:57)

Thank you for the information so cool . Do not forget to visit our blog . keep the spirit

• #2

Living Room Ideas (Thursday, 10 March 2016 04:59)

Hello, Greetings everybody, my name Adhitya of the area. During my see on this internet site, I found numerous articles that serve, that undoubtedly I was looking before. Many thanks admin, and also everything.

• #3

Obat herbal alami untuk mengatasi ejakulasi dini (Thursday, 25 August 2016 21:20)

very interesting article , thanks

• #4

Obat herbal agar sperma subur paling ampuh (Friday, 26 August 2016 22:59)

This article is very interesting, it is important to note thank you very much

• #5

hubnames reviews (Wednesday, 28 September 2016 21:17)

I have read your blog it is very helpful for me. this is really awesome post. I want to say thanks to you. Website

• #6

Obat Grastritis Alami (Wednesday, 26 October 2016 03:26)

thanks your article verry unteresting , i understand

• #7

online telephone psychics (Monday, 14 November 2016 04:43)

incredulity

• #8

seks pogaduszki (Monday, 14 November 2016 08:29)

najustronniej

• #9

sex pogaduszki (Monday, 14 November 2016 11:32)

luring

• #10

Liebekummer Hilfe (Tuesday, 15 November 2016 10:55)

negligent

• #11

sextelefon 24h (Tuesday, 15 November 2016 15:10)

heliotropizm

• #12

blog (Wednesday, 16 November 2016 07:50)

immunostymulator

• #13

obat diabets (Thursday, 17 November 2016)

thanks for info

• #14

rytuały miłosne (Thursday, 17 November 2016 06:14)

jędze

• #15

seks anonse (Thursday, 17 November 2016 14:53)

prasłowiański

• #16

obat keseahatan (Friday, 18 November 2016 19:23)

Ace Maxs is a medical drug made from high-quality natural ingredients, namely mangosteen fruit, soursop leaves, apples and pure honey. As we know these materials have many benefits, especially for health. The combination of materials - the ingredients that make Ace Maxs is in great demand because the properties are evident. Maxs Ace consume every day in an appropriate manner can improve the quality of your health and beauty.

• #17

date line (Monday, 21 November 2016 06:49)

mimicked

• #18

obat herbal kencing nanah (Wednesday, 23 November 2016 03:07)

For the treatment of coronary heart needed a serious handlers, because it has been a lot of deaths caused by coronary heart disease. Seiiring advance technology How to treat coronary heart disease also have very many different ways, but still, in spite of very sophisticated workarounds if we do not handle this right then it would be futile. eat now I will discuss what is coronary heart disease and cure what? so you can choose exactly how proper treatment of coronary heart disease.

• #19

tutaj (Friday, 25 November 2016 01:38)

wurcytowy

• #20

zobacz (Sunday, 27 November 2016 17:30)

niepodprawianie

• #21

obat gatal anus paling ampuh (Monday, 28 November 2016 21:57)

Very uncomfortable it feels when you feel itching at the anus, it is disturbing and needs serious handling. anal itching is a condition that causes itching and heat around the anus. how do I handle it? You can treat the anus by taking medicine Itchy Anus Most Powerful

• #22

obat bercak putih di selangkangan wanita (Wednesday, 30 November 2016 20:52)

Is there in your crotch white patches? white patches in the groin is a fungal infection that results in white patches in your groin, is dangerous? yes when on leave will be very berbahayan so you need to treat it with medicine White Spots On Crotch Women.

• #23

obat untuk gondok (Tuesday, 06 December 2016 22:15)

thanks

• #24

liebeszauber (Monday, 12 December 2016 12:45)

fliehen floh geflohen uciekać

• #25

drug and alcohol abuse (Friday, 23 December 2016 04:22)

That is the excellent mindset, nonetheless is just not help to make every sence whatsoever preaching about that mather. Virtually any method many thanks in addition to i had endeavor to promote your own article in to delicius nevertheless it is apparently a dilemma using your information sites can you please recheck the idea. thanks once more.

• #26

Raphael Booker (Saturday, 14 January 2017 05:25)

Veniam, accusamus commodo obcaecati unde est reiciendis porro voluptatem ipsam non nulla reiciendis aut minus enim excepturi quas earum.

• #27

sex telefon 24/7 (Monday, 16 January 2017 08:13)

kwęknąwszy

• #28

tani sex telefon (Tuesday, 17 January 2017 17:09)

Wielichów

• #29

love spells (Friday, 20 January 2017 12:13)

komparycja

• #30

zaklęcie miłosne (Monday, 27 February 2017 10:58)

bardzo interesujący rytualik

• #31

rytuał powodzenia u płci przeciwnej (Thursday, 02 March 2017 08:00)

pozytywan strona

• #32

self-realized teachers (Monday, 20 March 2017 07:35)

If you set out to make me think today; mission accomplished! I really like your writing style and how you express your ideas. Thank you.

• #33

pets (Friday, 28 April 2017 10:05)

I am definitely enjoying your website. You definitely have some great insight and great stories

• #34

mirror wall art (Thursday, 29 June 2017 06:14)

This is very educational content and written well for a change. It's nice to see that some people still understand how to write a quality post.!

• #35

Agen Obat Herbal Berkualitas di Tasikmalaya (Tuesday, 15 August 2017 01:37)

这些信息是非常有趣的,不要停在这里,继续工作,因为我们总是等待它

• #36

cheap designer shoes and bags (Sunday, 20 August 2017 05:27)

Wonderful illustrated information. I thank you about that. No doubt it will be very useful for my future projects. Would like to see some other posts on the same subject!